Your privacy is important to us. We value the trust you have placed in us, and are committed to protecting and safeguarding any Personal Information you give us. This document, which we update from time to time, describes how we use and process your Personal Information. It also tells you how you can contact us if you have questions about your Personal Information.
FitnessGenes offers Fitness and Nutrition Technology and Genetic Analysis through its own websites and through other online platforms such as partners' websites. The information that follows applies to all of these platforms.
What kind of Personal Information does FitnessGenes use?
In accordance with the Data Protection Act (1998) and as outlined in our Data Protection Policy, "Personal Information" is any information provided by you, the Customer, that is specific and can be used to identify you, either alone or in combination with other information.
FitnessGenes collects and stores Personal Information to provide our Products and Services, maintain our accounts and records and to support and manage our staff.
We process the following types of Personal Information:
- "Registration Data" - during the order, registration and payment process we will collect delivery and payment information/financial details. We will automatically create a member’s account for you, so that you can use it to access your results and Personal Information. Information provided by you when registering for an account and/or purchasing our Products may include name, email, address, phone number, user ID and password, and payment information/financial details. Registration Data shall not be passed to third parties without prior consent, unless there is a legal obligation or judicial order.
- "Genetic Data" - when you order our Products, you will be asked to provide a DNA sample in order for us to obtain information regarding your genotype (e.g. the presence of As, Ts, Cs, and Gs at particular locations in your genome). This DNA sample is typically provided via a sample of your saliva. For completeness, the DNA sample provided by you constitutes or contains Genetic Data. This information is used by FitnessGenes to prepare the best possible advice for you with regards to training and nutrition. Genetic Data may be generated through genotyping of your sample by FitnessGenes or by its contractors, or uploaded or otherwise added to your personal account by you, or by FitnessGenes or its contractors with your express permission. The Genetic Data is considered “Sensitive Personal Information”. When providing Genetic Data to FitnessGenes, you will be asked for your explicit consent for FitnessGenes to process your Sensitive Personal Information in accordance with our Terms and Conditions. Processing may include research and development activities such as performing data analysis studies in association with your Self-Reported Data. As part of this process, wherever it is possible, Genetic Data and Self-Reported Data will be processed in an anonymised fashion with related Registration Data removed and results combined.
- "Self-Reported Data" - when you order our DNA test and/or training plans, you will be asked for environmental and lifestyle information that are relevant to the production and analysis of your results.. This information is used by FitnessGenes to prepare the best possible advice for you with regards to training and nutrition. Information may include gender, family, lifestyle and social circumstances. Additionally, we may be required to collect “Sensitive Personal Information”, such as health and genetic, physical or mental health details, racial or ethnic origin, religious or other similar beliefs, sexual orientation and other lifestyle data, which you would provide direct to us through completion of questionnaires, surveys, forms or other features provided by FitnessGenes. When providing Self-Reported Data to FitnessGenes, you will be asked for your explicit consent for FitnessGenes to process your data in accordance with our Terms and Conditions. Processing may include research and development activities such as performing data analysis studies in association with your Genetic Data. As part of this process, wherever it is possible, Genetic Data and Self-Reported Data will be processed in an anonymised fashion with related Registration Data removed and results combined.
- "User Content" - when you visit our website, even if you do not order any product, we may collect certain information, such as your IP address, which browser you're using, and information about your computer's operating system, application version, language settings and pages that have been shown to you. If you are using a mobile device, we might also collect data that identifies your mobile device, device-specific settings and characteristics and latitude/longitude details. We might also calculate and process data related to the type of apps installed on a mobile device, such as the name of the app, an app description and the category it belongs to. All other information, including text, data, software, audio, video, photographs, graphics, messages, or other materials generated by using FitnessGenes Products or certain social media services and transmitted, whether publicly or privately, to or through FitnessGenes are considered to be “User Content”. None of this information by itself will be able to tell us who you are, but it can still considered to be Personal Information.
Why does FitnessGenes collect, use and share your personal details?
- Provision of Products and Services: First and foremost, if an account is registered or a Product order placed, we use your Personal Information to complete and administer your orders and forward required delivery details to the depots that ship your DNA test kit and other merchandise.
- Customer service: Sharing your details with our customer service staff allows us to assist when you need us, such as responding to queries related to your orders, test, training and nutrition plans.
- Customer reviews: We may use your contact information to invite you to answer a short questionnaire regarding your experience with our website, our customer service or the information provided to you in our member area. The survey results will be used to help us better understand and improve the service we provide to all our customers.
- Marketing activities: We also use your information for marketing activities, as permitted by law. For example, You may choose to subscribe to our newsletters in order to receive emails notifying you of any new products or analysis we are offering. You can opt out of this service at any time by clicking on the 'unsubscribe' link in any emails we send to you.
- Other communications: There may be other times when we get in touch by email, by phone or by texting you, depending on the contact information you share with us. There could be a number of reasons for this:
- We may need to respond to and handle requests you have made.
- If you have not finalised an order online, we may email you a reminder to continue with the order process.
- When you use our services, we may send you a questionnaire or invite you to provide a review about your experience with FitnessGenes.
- Market research: We sometimes ask our customers to take part in market research. Any additional personal details that you give us as part of the market research will be used only with your consent.
- Fraud detection and prevention: We may use Personal Information for the detection and prevention of fraud and other illegal or unwanted activities.
- Improving our services: Finally, we use Personal Information for analytical purposes, to improve our Products and Services, to enhance the user experience, and to improve the functionality and quality of our online platform.
- Research and Development: Part of our aim at FitnessGenes is to contribute to the continual development and refinement of genetic research into health and fitness-based traits. As part of this commitment we may use some or all of your Personal Information to expand and improve our current knowledge of this field and further improve our Products and Services. You have the choice to participate in FitnessGenes Research for which your explicit consent will be sought beforehand. Research and Development activities may include, but are not limited to: a) performing quality controls; b) trialling new protocols, techniques or equipment; c) sharing information with academic groups and other third parties to advance their studies; d) performing data analysis. Some of these activities may result in commercialisation with a third party. As part of this process, wherever it is possible, Registration Data will be removed from Genetic Data and Self-Reported Data, and the latter two will then be combined to generate anonymised results, which will then be pooled to draw relevant conclusions. For clarity, your Registration Data will not be shared with any third parties without your express consent unless there is a legal obligation or judicial order. You have the right to be excluded from any further studies beyond your personal use of the Products and Services and can request this, and/or your DNA sample and/or any remaining saliva sample be disposed of at any time by contacting us at: customerservices@FitnessGenes.com.
Sharing of data
How does FitnessGenes share your data with third parties?
In certain circumstances, we may share your personal data with third parties.
- Your orders: In order to deliver your orders, we need to transfer relevant delivery details to suppliers, contractors and other service providers. This may include information such as your name, contact details (email, address and telephone number) and address details you specified when making a booking. Additionally, we may need to share your information with business associates and other professional advisors in order to provide you with our Products and Services.
- Competent authorities: We may share your Personal Information with governmental or investigative authorities if we are required by law (or any regulation having the force of law) to do so. Such requirements include court orders, subpoenas and orders arising from legal processes and criminal investigations. We may also disclose your personal data if it is strictly necessary for the prevention, detection or prosecution of criminal acts.
How does FitnessGenes make use of mobile devices?
We are planning to provide apps for a variety of mobile devices. These apps collect and process your personal details in much the same way as our website does.
What security procedures does FitnessGenes put in place to safeguard your Personal Information?
FitnessGenes takes the security and confidentiality of your Personal Information extremely seriously and maintains a high level of protection so that third parties do not unnecessarily gain access. In accordance with UK and European data protection laws, we use appropriate business systems and observe reasonable procedures to prevent unauthorised access and the misuse of Personal Information. We also use security procedures and technical and physical restrictions for accessing and using the Personal Information on our servers. Personal Information is password protected and stored on secure servers that are only accessible to authorised personnel of FitnessGenes. Your DNA sample is barcoded with no personal or identifying data included in the return mailing. Genetic Data contained within your DNA sample is held in a secure facility protected by 24-hour surveillance.
How can you control marketing emails?
Upon ordering products or registration we provide options to opt out of marketing and sales emails. If you remain opted in, we hope you enjoy receiving our emails, but if you would prefer not to be kept up-to-date with our special offers, you can opt out, or unsubscribe, from marketing communications at any time using the 'Unsubscribe' link in each newsletter.
How can you control the Personal Information you have given to FitnessGenes?
FitnessGenes tries to be open as it can be in terms of giving people access to their Personal Information. Individuals can request a copy of their information by contacting us in writing at the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org or at the address below, stating 'Subject Access Request' in the subject. We may ask for further information to validate the identity of the requester to ensure the security of the data we hold. FitnessGenes has 40 calendar days to reply to any request from the date of receiving all the information necessary to process the request.
If we do hold information about you, you can ask us to correct any mistakes by contacting us on the email address above or mailing address below.