FitnessGenes Food: Vegetarian Kibbeh
Monday, December 05, 2016. Author Leilah Isaac
Ingredients (makes 9)
- 2 cups (500g) strained canned tomatoes
- 1 cup (250g) onion
- 3 egg whites
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (250g) semolina
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1 cup (250g) white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (125g) frozen peas
- 1/2 chili pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp (2.5g) turmeric
- 1/2 tsp (2.5g) garam masala
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Mix the semolina and water in a bowl to form a dough. Put aside.
- Finely chop the mushrooms, onions, garlic cloves and chilli. In a pan heat the olive oil over a medium. Once it sizzles, add the garlic, chilli and onions.
- As the onions start to soften (about 10 mins), add the mushrooms, frozen peas, turmeric, garam masala, and salt and pepper. Allow to cook on a low heat for 15 mins.
- Add the egg whites to the pan of vegetables and scramble together for a few minutes, then turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Tear off a walnut size of the semolina dough and fill it with the mushroom mixture to form a a ball. Continue until you have used all of the dough.
- In a separate pot mix the water and tomatoes and bring to boil.
- Add the semolina stuffed balls, cover and cook for 30 mins.
Want to know the many health benefits of turmeric, and which genotypes benefit most from this powder? Take a look at our blog post by clicking here.