Spinach and ricotta stuffed chicken breast
Thursday, April 05, 2018. Author Mathew Kershaw
This simple yet impressive dish is packed with protein to help repair and build those hard-earned muscles. The low-GI carbohydrates help keep your insulin in check, while a healthy dose of vitamin B3 (niacin) helps keep your cardiovascular system in top shape, allowing it to handle those grueling workouts.
2 medium chicken breasts
3.5oz ricotta cheese (100g)
1 large handful fresh spinach (50g)
2 slices prosciutto
7oz potatoes (200g)
3.5oz asparagus tips (100g)
1tsp olive oil (5ml)
salt and pepper
balsamic glaze for presentation
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350F.
- Wash and slice the potatoes to about 1/8 inch (3mm) thick. Lay them out on a baking tray and toss to coat with the olive oil and some salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut a pocket into the chicken breasts by inserting a thin knife into the top of the fillet and gently cutting across, being sure not to poke through the top/bottom or slice through the sides.
- Roughly chop the spinach and reduce in a pan to about 20% of the original size. Combine this with the ricotta in a bowl, mixing well with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Fill the pockets with the spinach and ricotta mix. If you have a piping bag, this should be easier, but if not, using a chopstick or the handle of a wooden spoon can help you push the mixture into the cavity.
- Wrap the chicken in a slice of prosciutto each, ensuring the ends tuck underneath the fillet, then place on a separate baking tray.
- Put the potatoes on the top shelf of the oven for 10 minutes, then add the chicken in the middle of the oven. Once another 10 minutes have passed, add the asparagus spears into the tray with the potatoes and bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set the chicken aside to rest for 5 minutes. Place the asparagus on a bed of potatoes before slicing the chicken in half and topping the dish. If you're feeling artistic, decorate your plate with the balsamic glaze
Nutritional profile per serving:
Calories: 482 kcals
Protein: 43g (36% of total calories)
Carbs: 22g (18%)
Fat: 24 g (46%)