Quinoa salad with pan-fried chicken
Wednesday, July 11, 2018. Author Matthew Kershaw
This tasty and nutritionally balanced super-food salad is high in protein, antioxidants, and folate making it an ideal post-workout recovery meal. The vegetables are rich in lycopene and vitamins C and A to keep your immune system strong, while quinoa is high in folate which is essential for cellular health.
2 small chicken breasts – ½ lb (200g)
¼ lb dried tricolor quinoa (100g)
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
½ red onion
½ lb cherry tomatoes (200g)
1 red chili
3 oz spinach, rocket and watercress salad (80g)
2 canned anchovy fillets
1 Tbsp rapeseed/canola oil (15ml)
A splash of white wine vinegar
A small bunch fresh parsley
- Add the quinoa to a pan and cook according to packet instructions (usually about 20 minutes). Drain, rinse in a sieve, and return to the pan
- While the quinoa cooks, peel the onion, deseed the peppers, then roughly chop the onion, peppers, chili, and tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, then add the peppers and the red onion. Cook for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the chili and tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the anchovy fillets, then add to the pan and stir in to evenly distribute. Reduce the heat and cook for another few minutes to allow the anchovies to release their oils.
- While the anchovies are cooking, cover your chicken breasts in cling film and using a rolling pin, bash them until they are about ½ inch (1cm) thick.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the contents of the frying pan and transfer to the pan containing the quinoa.
- Return the heat to medium, add the chicken to the frying pan and use it to “mop up” the flavors left from the veg by stirring it around the pan. Cook chicken on each side for about 5-6 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove the chicken, cover with tin foil, and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- While the chicken is resting, add the mixed leaves to a large bowl and then add the quinoa and veg, and a splash of white wine vinegar. Finely chop the parsley, then add to the mix before tossing to combine evenly.
- Divide the salad into two bowls. Slice the chicken breast against the grain and place on top of the salad and serve.
Nutritional profile per serving
Calories: 526 kcals
Protein: 33g (25% of total energy)
Carbs: 51g (39%)
Fats: 21g (36%)