Wednesday, June 13, 2018. Author Matthew Kershaw
These easy, tasty nachos are a great dish to whip up when you have friends around for the big game. High in protein, slow-release carbs and heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, this is a satiating, nutritious meal to feed your hungry, fitness-conscious crew.
4 chicken thighs - 1lb (450g)
4 wholemeal tortilla wraps
6 medium vine tomatoes – ½ lb (230g)
1 small white onion
1 large red chili
1 small red onion
2 Tbsp olive oil (30ml)
1 bunch coriander/cilantro
2 Tbsp BBQ sauce (30ml)
1 tsp Tabasco sauce (5ml)
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400F.
- Mix the BBQ and Tabasco sauce together and then evenly spread over the chicken thighs. Place the thighs on a tray and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until completely cooked (internal temperature of 74C or 165F). Remove from the oven, cover with foil and let them cool.
- Chop the soft tortilla wraps into triangles and arrange on baking trays.
- Finely chop the tomatoes, onion, 2/3 of the coriander/cilantro, and the chili. If you like some heat, include the chili seeds. If you’d prefer to tone it down, remove the seeds and discard.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, white onion, coriander/cilantro and chili to a large mixing bowl and add 1 Tbsp (15ml) olive oil, along with the juice of the lime and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix and set aside.
- Peel, remove the stone/pit and roughly chop the avocado and add to a bowl along with 1 Tbsp (15ml) olive oil and some salt and pepper before mashing to a coarse paste.
- Finely chop the red onion and add to the mashed avocado, along with the juice of half the lemon and mix together to make guacamole. Set aside.
- Place the tortillas into the oven for about 5-7 minutes, until crisp.
- Meanwhile, pull the chicken meat from the bone and shred into thin strips. Set aside.
- Take the tortillas from the oven and, in a large bowl, combine layers of tortillas, tomatoes, guacamole, and chicken until all ingredients are used.
- Roughly chop the remaining coriander/cilantro and sprinkle over the top. Cut the remaining half of the lemon into wedges, place on top, serve and enjoy!
Nutritional content per serving
Calories: 583 kcals
Protein: 24g (17% of total kcals)
Fats: 35g (54%)
Carbs: 43g (29%)