Grilled pork souvla in pita bread
Wednesday, May 23, 2018. Author Matthew Kershaw
Making a healthy summer BBQ is easier than you think! This Greek-inspired pork dish is high in protein and is low in fat due to the choice of cut. The salad greens and peppers are rich in vitamin C, selenium and lycopene to keep your immune system running smoothly, while phosphorous ensures your bones remain healthy as you enjoy the summer sunshine and boost your vitamin D levels.
1 ¼ lb pork loin fillet (600g)
3 bell peppers (red, green and yellow)
4 wholemeal pittas
½ lb Greek yogurt (225g)
3 large tomatoes
¼ lb black olives (113g)
¼ lb watercress, rocket and spinach salad (113g)
1 bunch mint leaves
½ lb houmous (225g)
- Slice the fillet into 16 evenly sized pieces and finely chop half the mint leaves. Combine the two in a bowl/tub with the yogurt and the zest and juice of the lemon. Leave to marinate in the fridge for at least an hour, preferably 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, chop the cucumber, tomatoes, the remaining mint and the olives, then combine with the mixed leaves to make a dry salad and set aside.
- Deseed and quarter the peppers, then soak 4 wooden skewers in some cold water (this helps to prevent them from setting on fire on the BBQ).
- When the pork is ready, remove from the fridge.
- Create the kebabs by placing a piece of pork, then a piece of pepper until you have 4 pieces of pork and 3 pieces of pepper on the skewer. Your kebab should start and end with a piece of pork.
- When the BBQ is ready, place the kebabs on the grill, along with the pittas, turning occasionally.
- When the pittas are lightly toasted on each side, remove from the coals, cut them down one edge to open them up, then spread some houmous on one side and add a handful of salad.
- When the pork is cooked through (about 10-15 minutes), remove from the BBQ and place on a plate to rest for a few minutes.
- With a pitta in one hand and your kebab in the other, place the kebab in the pitta, squeeze the pitta to keep the meat and peppers in place, then remove the skewer. Enjoy!
Nutritional profile per serving
Calories: 543 kcals
Protein: 50g (37% of total kcals)
Fats: 15g (25%)
Carbs: 52g (38%)